Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Guide: How to Jailbreak and Unlock your iPhone 3G

 If you haven't been able to get your hands on an iPhone 4 yet or you simply like your 3G better but still want the iOS 4.0 features that are not available on the 3G such as multitasking and custom wallpapers, then follow this guide and you will have them all and more.
I'll break it into 2 parts. First jail breaking and then unlocking. Because the former must be done before the latter in order to work.

How to Jailbreak your iPhone 3g running iOS 4.0:
What you'll need:
  • An iPhone 3g or 2nd Gen iPod touch running the iOS 4.0 software
  • You need the iOS 4.0 image on your computer. If you've recently upgraded it should be there. (For instance I had reformatted my hard drive, so I simply had to go into iTunes and restore my iPhone in order to download the image again.)
  • Download redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta. You can download it for both Windows and Mac OS.
Ok you've got all these things. From here on out it's a piece of cake.

  1. Launch redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta and select browse. Navigate to where your iOS 4.0 image is on your hard drive. Mine was found in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates. My file was called iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore. (Now on my PC the AppData folder was a hidden folder. In order to see it simply open any folder and under the "Organize" menu at the top left click "Folder and Search options". Click on the view tab and under "Advanced Settings" you should click the option to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".)
  2. Now select what features you want installed. I enabled all except custom boot logo and custom recovery logo. Before you continue plug in your device and then turn it off. To do this hold down the lock button on the top until "Slide to power off" appears on the screen, then power it off.
  3. Now click to continue and redsn0w will detail the steps you need to take in order to put your phone into DFU mode which goes like this:
  4. Hold the power button down for a couple of seconds.
  5. Without releasing the power button, press and hold the home button for 10 seconds.
  6. Without releasing the home button, stop pressing the power button. Hold the home button for an additional 30 seconds.
  7. If you did it correctly your phone should soon display that it is downloading jailbreak data. At this point your done, you just have to sit back and relax while the rest is done on your phone.
Your device is now Jailbroken. You can use custom wallpapers, multitasking, and plethora of other options even iPhone 4 users don't have. Cydia gives you access to 3rd part applications and customization options for your iPhone only Jailbreakers can use.

As you can see on my phone I have a custom background as well as the battery percentage at the top. I've also used a 3rd party application called "Winterboard" to completely theme my icons as well as make a 5 icon dock. On the right is my lock screen. I've achieved this with an app called LockInfo. It displays any notifications that you might have on your phone as well such as calls, sms texts, or app notifications. You still unlock it the same way, I just made the swipe bar invisible.

Above is a screenshot of my multitask menu. I have a custom background on this as well.

How to unlock your Jailbroken iPhone 3G for use on any GSM broadband network:
What you'll need:
  • A Jailbroken iPhone 3g with Bootloader 5.03.
  • The cydia app (which should already be there after you jailbroke it)
This one is even easier then the Jailbreaking process.
  1. Download the app "Fuzzyband" from Cydia and downgrade your baseband.
  2. Open cydia and click on the manage tab as shown. Click the middle button that says Sources.
  3. You should see a package for ultrasn0w. Click it and then install ultrasn0w 0.93
  4. Reboot your phone and you're done!
Now you can use any sim card with your iPhone 3g.




Now go have fun multitasking and using 3rd party apps.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! I think these will be useful! Actually, I had a hard time unlocking my phone when I went to London. Lucky for me, I've had no problem with my Sidekick phone because it was already unlocked when I left my town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information..........i got my iphone unlocked from network lock at
    www.superunlockcodes.com here they help me unlock my iphone using remote unlocking .

    ReplyDelete