Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

More cool jailbroken iPhone stuff!

So I've been tweaking my jailbroken iphone 3G the past couple of days, trying to get it to run a little smoother since all the ios4 features kinda bog down the little fella a bit. If jailbreaking your 3G, i suggest disabling multitasking and homescreen wallpaper. Now don't worry, you can attain both of these features later with 3rd party apps, and they use up a lot less RAM then the ios4 methods.
For instance, the Winterboard theme User Wallpaper 4.0 will function almost the same and use up a ton less RAM, thus making your phone much faster. And if you're worried about multitasking, go grab the 3rd party app called Backgrounder and you'll be back to your multitasking ways in no time.

A lot of 3rd party apps have ios4.xx compatible updates out. One such app is Iconoclasm which is one of the best and most essential paid 3rd party app for jailbreakers. Now it never made sense to me that some 3rd party apps cost money, I mean isnt the whole point of jailbreaking to fight through the commercial shackles Apple has us in? Charging money for your apps seems kinda shameless to me. So add these three repositories to either Cydia or Rock and you can get just about any paid 3rd party app for free; cydia.hackulo.us, cydia.myrepospace.com/HackStor, and www.sinfuliphonerepo.com.


In the first picture at the top of the page, you'll notice my home screen is completely blank except for my dock. This is thanks to a 3rd party app called iBlank. It basically allows you to create as many blank app icons as you want, and they can be moved just like regular apps.

Now since iOS4 adds drop shadows to all the app icons, you'll have to download the Winterboard theme called No Icon Shadows - iBlank and your good to go.

In the pic to the right you see the effect of Iconoclasm. The layout I have currently loaded is a 5x5 layout, but there are many many more layouts you can use in just about any combination you could imagine. And using a 3rd party app called Shrink you can shrink your icons to any size you want, even make them bigger.

Now you might have noticed the little envelope icon up in my status bar. This is due to a program called Notifier. What it does is adds notification icons to your status bar if you have a new email, missed call, sms, voicemail, instant message, or calendar event.

Now when iOS4 was released there was some issues with Notifier working, but don't worry. Search for "Notifier Fix" and install that and it should work fine on iOS4.

I changed the Slide to unlock text using a theme I created myself for Winterboard. I downloaded a few battery themes as you can see one to the left.

And I have LockInfo enabled which allows me to put all kinds of useful information on my lock screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment